Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Time for a visit

I did not want to plant any tomatoes in the Original Raised Bed (ORB) this year because I wanted to be able to give them close attention for frost, bugs and disease.

But then I was given some extra tomatoes as a housewarming gift the day after I'd just bought a bunch of seedlings. Therefore, I did end up planting two tomatoes far, far away (a 5-minute drive) where I will not be able to care for them as well as I may like.

Not that they've needed any help so far. They are doing just fine on their own.

This was the ORB when planted mid-September. I guess I did have a little bit of trouble with bugs eating the pepper and the 'Dark Opal' basil. I sprayed both plants with a 1-to-10 solution of dish soap and water. No more bug bites.

This is the ORB a month later. I'd actually trimmed the 'Mortgage Lifter' tomato (on right) a few times. I've surrounded the tomatoes with protective shields of sweet alyssum, chamomile, thyme, basil and oregano.
Unfortunately, the seeds I planted did not do as well as I would have liked. It may have been a little too hot still mid-September. I planted from seed some turnips, 4 to 5 lettuces, carrots, arugula, leeks and all kinds of onions.

One last look ...

No comments:

Post a Comment