Thursday, July 28, 2011

A pile of ... compost

One of the first things I did once we moved into our new digs was to set up some compost bins off to the side of the yard.

Riverside County Master Composters really
know their stuff. At Palm Desert workshop
in June 2011, about 20 residents attended.
At a composting workshop I attended in June, I got two different types: a stackable tower (apparently no longer in production?) and a geobin (the circular, open-top type -- flimsy).

All excited a week or so ago, I collected the kitchen scraps I'd been saving in my freezer, the yard clippings I'd been hoarding in our green-waste trash bin and the grass trimmings I'd been drying in the sun.

Ready to compost!

And ... all these things filled just the stackable tower less than halfway.

I'll keep alternating my yard waste and kitchen scraps in there, but it is going to take a while to get this bin full enough to really go, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment