Sunday, May 30, 2010

Next project ... on the line

When we first moved into our house in 2004, this strange round contraption was attached to the wall of our enclosed patio, about 6 feet high. It took me a few weeks to get around to inspecting it closely enough to figure out it was a clothesline.

Ingenious, in good working condition, and probably about 25 years old. If you pulled it all the way out, you could attach it to a hook that was installed on the opposite wall. And it wound up like a tape measure when you let it go.

Forgive me, but I promptly detached it from the wall and threw it away. (See where it used to be, at left) Looking back, I think I didn't like how it was right outside the sliding door where you could almost hit your head on it. And I probably thought I would NEVER dry my clothes outside because I finally had my own dryer.

My goal this summer is to make use of the intense desert heat, and save some energy at the same time. I love my dryer, but it heats up the house as I'm air-conditioning it.

Seriously, it probably will take LESS time to dry my clothes in the bone-dry 110-degree sun! Can't wait to try this. On the lookout for a new (or used) contraption similar to the old one.

Wish I had some foresight back in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment